Other online resources
Standard Grammar and Style Handbooks
Widely used standard books fall into different categories: general, pocket guides, and discipline-specific guides. No handbook is definitive, as stylistic and even grammatical rules evolve. Ask your professors which guides they recommend for writers in your field(s), or consult with Charles Yarnoff of the Writing Program to find out which guide might best help you.
Academic Grammar Sites
For questions about a specific document type or technical issue, the online versions of textbooks or online guides can be very useful.
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Writer’s Handbook
- University of North Carolina Writing Lab Handouts
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Popular Grammar Sites
Popular online grammar sites are not definitive, but they can be a lot of fun. For example, consider the following:
- Grammar Girl
- Grammar Grater (Minnesota Public Radio podcast):
- Podictionary (podcast about etymology)